Two windows of opportunity open at the University for six weeks each year to support creative ideas that need a financial kick start. Students and staff are invited to present innovative project ideas or activities during spring and autumn to compete for a share of around £150,000.
100% funded through donations to the Edinburgh Fund, Innovation Initiative grants are an opportunity for graduates and friends of the University to invest in its future and support new thinking in research, teaching and student life.
- £3,600 enabled Spyros Kizis, a student from Edinburgh College of Art, to design an eco-friendly furniture collection made out of artichoke thistle reinforced plastic - a material he designed himself.
- £2,270 helped Dr Adam Kirrander create an interactive and educational computer game for Explorathon 2015, an event celebrating science and the work of European researchers that took place at the National Museum of Scotland.
- £1,984 enabled a group of students to set up The Swap and Reuse HUB co-op (SHRUB). This student-led cooperative aims to provide a centre for reusing items and learning about reuse through skill sharing, exchanging and upcycling.
You can read more about students and staff whose projects were made possible by an Innovation Initiative Grant by visiting the IIG information pages on the Development and Alumni website.
We were so grateful to receive an Innovative Initiative Grant; it allowed us to set up our shop, paint the premise and buy tools for our “repairing workshops” that we will be running.
Joe Thompson, Student and Co-founder of SHRUB
Further information including guidelines, checklists, full terms and conditions and details regarding how to submit your application can be found on the IIG website.
- Thursday 18 February 2016 (noon) - IIG application window opens
- Thursday 31 March 2016 (noon) - Deadline for completed IIG applications
- Monday 4 April 2016 - Applications available to Schools for ranking
- Thursday 21 April 2016 - Schools to submit online ranking
- Monday 25 April 2016 - Top 2 or 3 ranked staff and student applications per School be sent to College Registrar in order to award funds
- Monday 9 May 2016 - College Registrar to return funding decisions to Development and Alumni Office
- Thursday 12 May 2016 - Results available to applicants