Degree Programmes and Duration
Our powerful, distinctive research specialisms provide research students with the knowledge, expertise and skills necessary to develop their academic or industry career. The Graduate School of Engineering deals with all aspects of Postgraduate Research study.
|PhD||A research project leading to a PhD. Typically 3 years (maximum duration 4 years)|
Resembles a PhD. Typically takes 2 years.
|MSc by Research||Shorter alternative to an MPhil or as a precursor to either MPhil or PhD. Typically 1 year research project (2 years part-time)|
We have a long tradition of excellence in the field and have developed a wealth of knowledge across some of the most important research areas in engineering today. We have around 300 doctoral researchers from a wide range of countries studying on our postgraduate research degrees.
Our world-class research is done in our dedicated research institutes
- Institute for Bioengineering (IBioE)
- Institute for Digital Communications (IDCOM)
- Institute for Energy Systems (IES)
- Institute for Infrastructure and Environment (IIE)
- Institute for Integrated Micro and Nano-Systems (IMNS)
- Institute for Materials and Processes (IMP)
- Institute for Multiscale Thermofluids (IMT)