Three different approaches are being employed to examine the effect of UKR tibial component design on tibial strain and pain:
- An observational clinical study of patient reported outcome measures and implant survivorship of cemented UKRs of two different designs:
- A mobile bearing UKR implant with a metal backed tibial component
- A fixed bearing UKR implant with an all-polyethylene tibial component
- To develop a radiographic analysis tool to measure proximal tibial bone density using digital radiological densitometry and apply this to the clinical study patient cohort.
- A Finite Element Analysis study, validated by mechanical testing of composite sawbone tibias using acoustic emission, to investigate the effect on strain of metal backing and implant thickness.