MSc in Sustainable Energy Systems FAQs

The answers to some of your most commonly asked questions

1. When is the closing date for the MSc in Sustainable Energy, and can I apply now?

As the course is popular early application is strongly advised and we reserve the right to close applications should the course be oversubscribed.

2. Can I get funding for the MSc?

There are a wide range of scholarships, awards and bursaries available from the University or other bodies. Please see the University's scholarship page.

3. How much are the fees for the session?

You can read about the fees for Postgraduate Taught programmes on the University's Scholarships and Student Funding Services web pages The University does not reduce fees in any circumstances.

4. Can I do my dissertation in industry/abroad/whilst working?

Any students wishing to arrange an industry placement for their dissertation must do so on their own initiative, bearing in mind that it must first be approved by the University. Students will be allowed to go abroad only in exceptional circumstances. Taking employment whilst working full-time on a dissertation is inadvisable and is strongly discouraged. Students are required to attend the University periodically for discussion with their dissertation supervisors.

5. Can I study part-time or at a distance?

Part-time study may be possible but would need to be discussed with the Course Organiser. In the first instance please contact the MSc Administrator by email or by phone on +44 (0) 131 650 7352. We do not currently offer this course as a distance learning option.

6. Am I eligible to apply?

All applicants must have or expect a good first degree in Engineering or a physical science. Applicants with backgrounds in other fields may be accepted if the University can be satisfied that the necessary mathematical and technical skills have been acquired elsewhere (e.g. in industry).

7. Is this degree professionally recognised?

Only undergraduate degrees are accredited and all University of Edinburgh undergraduate engineering degrees are accredited by the relevant Professional Institution (e.g. IEE, IMechE, ICE, IChemE). While postgraduate courses do not require accreditation, they assist in meeting the requirements for Chartered Engineer (CEng) status in one of two routes:

  • An accredited BEng + MSc + a number of years experience
  • An accredited MEng + a number of years experience (which the MSc counts towards)


8. What about accommodation in Edinburgh?

For all accommodation enquiries, please visit Accommodation Services website. The University cannot always guarantee accommodation for postgraduate students. Should your application for housing be unsuccessful, we have useful contacts for finding private rooms in Edinburgh. There is a large rental market in the city and finding private rental accommodation should not be a problem.

9. Can I visit the School before the course starts?

Visits to the School can be arranged by emailing the MSc Administrator or by phone on +44 (0) 131 650 7352. Please be aware that over the summer period appointment times maybe constrained. Students attending pre-sessional courses in English should make themselves known to the Administrator and to the Course Director at the earliest opportunity.

10. What is the TOEFL/IELTS requirement?

Candidates who do not have English as a first language must have a certificate to prove their competence. The minimum standards are:

  • IELTS 6.5
  • TOEFL 580
  • TOEFL 237 in CBT
  • CPE Grade B or higher
  • CAE grade A

Ultimately, it is the student’s responsibility to ensure that they have a sufficient command of English to understand lectures and to write assignments. The University runs a summer school in intensive English language and you can read more on their Intensive English Language Summer School website.

11. I am an overseas student, can I work at the University whilst studying?

Unfortunately it is illegal to work here on some student visas. Please note that the Institute does not employ any students.

12. I am a British citizen - why am I not a home student for fees?

UK student status depends on government regulations for residency, not nationality. British citizens who have not lived in the UK for some years may not qualify for UK student status. Please contact the College Office for further details.