Our programme of research tackles both theoretical and fundamental communications problems as well as more practical issues of implementing and improving communications systems, as well as improving communications interfaces.
Our research will impact practically in the following ways:
- Efficient and higher bandwidth communications technologies to tackle the rapidly increasing demand for internet traffic
- Lower energy consumption technologies that reduce the carbon footprint of future communications networks
- Seamless and secure communications technologies and interfaces to improve the quality of human life
Recent Research Advances
- Developed a new "spatial modulation" technique for MIMO systems
- Designed reduced complexity MIMO sphere decoders
- Reduced the power consumption of cellular base stations for "green radio"
- Demonstrated visible light communication at Gbit/s data rates from LED lighting with spin-out company PureVLC.
- Enhanced telephone and internet services for customer banking
- Host the HARP high capacity cellular and HIATUS efficient spectrum EU FP7 programmes