The School of Engineering offers several PhD studentships and scholarships for excellent students. These are competitive studentships, with an annual call for applications. The deadlines for our studentships are given below.
Calls for applications for 2021/22 studentships are now open, please see below for details.
Home (UK) Students
- EPSRC Doctoral Training Partnership (DTP) awards. Full studentship funding (tuition + living stipend + research costs) or in combination with industry funding. Contact potential academic supervisors to discuss potential projects and to apply for the award. Deadline: 28th Feb 2021
- Carnegie PhD Scholarships. For students who graduate (or are expected to graduate) from a Scottish University with a first class honours degree. Full studentship. Contact a potential academic supervisor to be nominated for the scholarship. Deadline: 28th Jan 2021. More info here.
- Other Home/EU Scholarships
All students (UK, EU and International)
- Edinburgh Doctoral College Scholarship. One full studentship is offered in the School of Engineering (although this may be increased with industry/other match funding), covering tuition fees (Home or Overseas), stipend and research costs. Deadline: 1st Mar 2021. More information on applying is given here.
- China Scholarship Council / University of Edinburgh Scholarships. A full scholarship only applicable to citizens and permanent residents of the People's Republic of China. Tuition fees and Additional Programme Costs are provided by the University while the China Scholarship Council provides living allowance, return airfare and visa application fees.This scholarship is currently tbc. Deadline: 15th Feb 2021.
- Full list (including country-specific) of scholarships
Self or Int/EU Government-Funded
- Period of study (3 to 4 years)
- If arranging funding yourself – recommend to negotiate 3.5 - 4 years of funding (greater than 3 years)
- Any terms and conditions on your funding must be discussed with the funding body and School before accepting your offer.
Funded PhD positions
PhD positions that have other sources of funding (such as industry funding) are advertised within our PhD Opportunities.