Our programme of research delivers world leading research in communications, signal processing and imaging, from fundamental theory and algorithmic work through its translation to specific application domains, including:
- Wireline, radio frequency (RF) and optical communications systems and networks
- Acoustic, video, radar, sonar and electro-optic sensing systems
- Imaging systems for medical and industrial applications
The Institute for Digital Communications currently has a number of research themes:
- Centre for Communication Interface Research (CCIR)
- Signal and Image Processing
The institute also leads ERPE activities in these areas.
Major Research Projects
The Institute for Digital Communications is currently leading the following major research projects:
- ADVANTAGE: Advanced Communications and Information processing in smart grid systems
- ADEL: Advanced Dynamic spectrum 5G mobile networks Employing Licensed shared access
- FLITES: Fibre-Laser Imaging of Gas Turbine Exhaust Species
- GREENNET: An early stage training network in enabling technologies for GREEN radio
- HARP: High capacity network Architecture with Remote radio heads & Parasitic antenna arrays
- UDRC: University Defence Research Collaboration in Signal Processing
- UP-VLC: Ultra-parallel visible light communications
Masters Programme in Signal Processing and Communications:
The institute is always looking to recruit top PhD students. Applications for PhD can be made here. This provides us with all the information we require to consider your application properly.
Details of specific PhD project opportunities at the Institute for Digital Communications (IDCoM) can be found here.