- Mechanical Engineering
Dr Yang is a Senior Lecturer in Composite Materials at the University of Edinburgh. Prior to joining Edinburgh in 2019 Dr Yang was a Lecturer in Structural and Materials Engineering at Leeds, where he led the Centre for Computational Engineering (CCE) and the Zeiss X-ray micro-CT facility in the Faculty of Engineering. His current research interests focus on Composites Engineering (materials, manufacturing and structures) and Computational Engineering (multiscale, multiphysics, multiphase coupling). With a background in manufacturing and later experience in structural and materials engineering, his cross-disciplinary research is at the interfaces of underpinning material science, emerging manufacturing technologies and advanced structural analysis and design. He also develops computational techniques and deterministic models to address multiscale, multiphysics and multiphase coupling challenges across engineering disciplines.
- BEng in Mechanical Engineering, 2004.
- MSc in Mechanical Engineering, 2007.
- PhD in Civil Engineering, Leeds (with ORSAS scholarship), 2011.
Professional Qualifications and Memberships:
CEng, MIMechE, FHEA
Composite materials, manufacturing and structures
- Failure prediction of composites (FRP and coating);
- Robot-assisted additive manufacturing of thermoplastic and thermoset composites;
- Cellular and lightweight composite structures;
- Digital composites;
- Particle methods based modelling of fluid-solid interaction ;
- Finite/discrete element based multiscale modelling of damage and failure;
- Thermo-mechanical, electro-mechanical multiphysics modelling.
With a vision to develop next-generation composites for aerospace, automotive and energy industries, I welcome talented PhD candidates, postdoctoral fellows and academic/industrial visitors from various engineering disciplines to work on composite materials and manufacturing, especially 3D printing and robotic manufacturing of fibre reinforced polymer composites.
There are various scholarship opportunities at Edinburgh, click the links below for more details:
Principal's Career Development PhD Scholarships
Edinburgh Global Research Scholarship
University of Edinburgh scholarships
Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT) scholarships